Safe Call Now

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Dispatchers Rock!!!

Safe Call Now® Peer Advocate & Dispatcher Angee Bunk


What did you want to be when you grew up? If you are like most, you wanted to be a cop, firefighter, doctor, or astronaut. No one dreams about being a 911 dispatcher or call receiver. They are just a voice on the other end of the line, not a real person right? Well, that may be different now that Halle Berry has made it glamorous with her movie, “The Call”. I mean who wouldn’t want to take a call from a kidnapping victim, go rogue, save the girl, and solve the crime?! 

So how does one get into the 911 business? I had dreams of being a cop and used 911 to get my foot in the law enforcement door. Fast forward 17 plus years and I’m still here! I came to the realization that being on this side of the radio keeps me warm, dry, and (most importantly) alive! I do, however, still get to be part of the action. 



What is it about this industry that keeps us in a high-stress environment?  It all comes down to the cliché of wanting to help people.  Even the people that call and scold me, call me names, and threaten my cops and firefighters. Yes, I said my. While you are on my watch, you are mine and I am there to ensure you make it home safe to your family. I take your safety so seriously that I volunteer as a Peer Advocate for Safe Call Now® (SCN). 

Safe Call Now® is a unique service that you hope you never have to use, just like 911. Both are also alike in the fact that there will always be someone there to answer your call. Let us take care of you when you feel like you can’t . It’s completely confidential and NOT affiliated with your employer’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP). As your dispatcher, I am telling you to use this wonderful resource when you need it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment