Safe Call Now

Friday, November 27, 2015

8 Steps to Becoming a Better #1stresponder

By Safe Call Now®'s Steve Gutzler


I found that technology has made it difficult to find time to unplug and recharge, to tap into my inner creativity and wisdom. Researchers from Harvard and the University of Virginia did an experiment in which they gave people a choice to be alone in a room for one hour without anything – devices, books, phones – or to get an electric shock. 67% of men chose an electric shock.  Women were much better… 25% choosing being shocked.
The capacity to be alone, and in quiet solitude is essential for a #1stresponders emotional and spiritual wholeness. I've practiced a ritual hour for years, but I'm now including a few minutes for meditation. For me it is a spiritual practice. I'm retreating to our living room for 5 to 10 minutes and focusing my thoughts on just one theme:
  • Peace
  • Grace
  • Joy
  • Purity
  • Excellence
  • Gratitude
I try to attach a visual image to that day’s theme, quiet my mind, and focused deeply. I'm also trying to be aware of my breathing and slowing my heart rate.
Question: What new habit can you start?
Habits aren't instincts, they are acquired actions or reactions. They don't just happen, they are caused.
The following steps will assist you in changing bad habits and the good ones:
  1. List your bad habits.
  2. What was the original cause?
  3. What are the supporting causes?
  4. Determine a positive habit to replace the bad one.
  5. Think about the good habit, its benefits and rewards.
  6. Take action to develop this habit.
  7. Act upon this habit daily for reinforcement.
  8. Reward yourself by noting one of the benefits from your good habit.
*Special thanks and gratitude to Jay Ballinger, Janelle Cronk, and Earl Hightower for your inspiring example. I am already feeling the positive benefits from meditation.
Here's to building better habits!
~Steve



No comments:

Post a Comment