Safe Call Now

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Maybe We Should Be More Like Our Dogs...

We Love You Lilly Belle


On Friday, April 1st, 2016 our little chocolate brown lab went to heaven.  I look back and remember all of the good times, the crazy times and the joy she brought to all of our lives.  She reminded me just how precious life really is, what it means to be happy, what it means to be loyal, what it means to bond and most important of all…  What it means to love.


Even after 15 years she was like a two year old puppy.  She would dance every morning for her food, she was always there whenever I made my protein shakes, and she would get the first bite of my banana and the last bite of my banana every day.  That was our thing.  Every night right at 6:00 pm she would walk out of the bedroom and share a spoonful of peanut butter with me, she has a built in time clock.  Also every morning she would check on me and sit and stare at me until I woke up, oh and good lord if I opened my eyes it was off to the races.  I’ve never seen such joy in a dog before. She even argued with me, unbelievable.  Lately we could tell she was slowing down but she was always wagging her tail and still dancing like a puppy.   

I left to go on the road the Monday before and she was eating very little.  Time for the vet.  We tried everything and the vet advised us of the inevitable.  Hearing this news over the phone I went straight into denial.  I wanted x-rays, surgery, whatever it took.  I got home late Thursday night and she was lying on the bed.


Her head was down, her tail wagged and she hit me with those puppy eyes that labs have.  I was petting her and she lifted her head and looked me straight in the eyes…  I knew it was time.  The funny thing was that she was telling me it’s okay, it is time to leave.  Damn “dog”…  I’m bawling, she’s giving me kisses.  I thought I was supposed to be comforting her, she ended up comforting me.  Talk about loyal and loving to the end.  Just incredible!!!




Our entire family (that’s the impact she had on all of us) arrived at the vet’s office at exactly 3:30 pm (I will never forget the date and time).  Lilly was never a fan of going to the vet’s office and it was always quite a chore on each visit.  This time she walked in, leading the way at peace with no anxiety.  She knew…  I wanted to be selfish, I didn’t want to let go, I wanted our girl back.  


I will never forget those last moments with her, she was at peace, she gave all of us kisses and we were each able to give her one last kiss before she went to sleep.  Oh it was devastating and still is but she let us know with her heart it was the right decision.  As she lay there she just looked beautiful and I had the opportunity to wonder what the world would be like if we were more like our dogs.


Unconditional love, trust, loyalty, heart, determination, passion, happiness and kindness.  All the qualities she possessed and there were many more.  What if we as human beings were like Lilly Belle?  What if we as a society treated others as our dogs treat us?  Maybe, just maybe…  The world would be a better place.


Goodbye with love baby girl… 



No comments:

Post a Comment