Safe Call Now

Saturday, July 1, 2017

#1stresponders... You're only worth .59 cents!!!

By Safe Call Now President & Founder Sean Riley
I've been struggling with this for a few days. #1stresponders... I found out you're worth only .59 cents, a price was finally put on your value as a human being. Let me explain. I recently was keynoting in a state that I knew had very poor access for behavioral health and substance abuse treatment benefits for their #1stresponders. I've struggled with this state for 4 years. What I didn't realize is the people who control those benefits finally put a price on your health and wellness... and it's .59 cents!!! I knew it was bad but I underestimated how bad it was!!!

The #1stresponders in this state also know that they have very poor benefits for their own health and wellness with those issues that impact their lives such as PTSD. In the other 49 states the #1stresponders for the most part have pretty good coverage. As I was listening to those in charge of the insurance premiums and people responsible for providing quality benefit services, it was brought to their attention that their level of benefits provided was beyond substandard for the #1stresponders in regards to behavioral health and substance abuse.

The response (wait for it)... "Yeah, but we saved .59 cents last year per employee on our insurance premiums, our premiums actually went down" Are you f%*king kidding me??? Did I forget to mention the number of #1stresponders that committed suicide in this state last year???  I have never been more appalled in my life.

I challenged those in charge and asked them if they hold #1stresponders to a higher standard.  They all responded in the affirmative rather quickly.  I then asked them why their healthcare benefits shouldn't also be held to a higher standard?  There was no reply, just a look of bewilderment. 

We will continue to go into this state and advocate for better benefits for those #1stresponders. What they don't realize is that the other 49 states are coming in with us because you're all worth more than .59 cents!!! 


4 comments:

  1. Sad state of affairs. While I appluad your integrity for not exposing them by name, I don't appreciate them! Thanks for working diligently to help us all, Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep fighting the good fight! Isn't it time for a TX center to develop protocols to service FRs only? We have doctor specific centers, legal specific centers, why not FR centers? Sealed medical records, no public records, where FRs could trust the staff, their privacy and keep their jobs? Without worry about who knew they were there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who do I have to e mail.
    I'll give them my 0.59 Cents

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who do I have to e mail ?
    I'll give them MY 0.59 Cents . . .

    ReplyDelete